Multi-hazard risk reduction strategies for Metro Manila public school buildings
- Client World Bank
- Site Metro Manila - Philippines
- Date of service 2016-2018
- Assignment Building-specific structural risk assessment, rapid visual assessments, conceptual design for seismic retrofitting, assistance and training
- Team ALL Ingegneria, AMH inc., University College of London - EPICentre
The scope of this assignment was to contribute to the initiatives of Department of Education (DepEd) to mitigate disaster risks to public school buildings in Metro Manila.
The specific objectives of this assignment were to:
- Conduct building-specific structural risk assessment of priority, high-risk school buildings in Metro Manila;
- Based on the structural risk assessment, provide risk reduction (reconstruction/retrofit) options for assessed buildings, and the corresponding cost estimates;
- Develop a multi-hazard decision-making methodology that is replicable and provides an "algorithm" to support DepEd’s selection of risk reduction options, e.g., retrofit, in-situ reconstruction, or relocation and reconstruction;
- Build capacity of DepEd engineers and DRRMS staff on risk assessment of school buildings, including trainings on rapid or detailed procedures for seismic vulnerability assessment.
In this assignment, the risk assessments have included all potential natural hazards such as earthquakes, typhoons, floods, volcanic activity, and tsunamis.
Considering that for local typical public school buildings, earthquakes pose the greatest risk to public safety, special attention has been paid to the seismic engineering aspects including, but not limited to :
- i) perform structural condition assessments;
- ii) carry-out field trainings of local engineers;
- iii) prepare mathematical models of the buildings;
- iv) perform linear and non-linear static/dynamic analyses;
- v) assess the performance of the buildings by Rapid Visual Assessments (RVA);
- vi) assess non-structural component anchorages and
- vii) develop the appropriate retrofit schemes including conceptual shear wall designs with estimation of costs.